21st, September, 2014
National Museum of Kenya: The Storymoja Hay Festival
15:00 hours, East African Time.
The Writivism 2015 workshops will be held on various dates in January 2015 in five different African cities. The three-day non-residential workshops are planned for Lagos, Gaborone, Kampala, Dar es Salaam and Johannesburg. Applicants will attend workshops in the cities closest to their residence.
The Lagos workshop will be facilitated by Dami Ajayi, Kampala: Dilman Dila, Johannesburg: Yewande Omotoso, Gaborone: Donald Molosi and Dar es Salaam: Zukiswa Wanner and Ayeta Anne Wangusa alongside other writers.
The workshops will include daily two-hour master classes on fiction writing, group sessions of critiquing of draft stories and private time for participants to re-write their stories. Participants who produce high quality work in the workshops and show commitment to their writing shall be assigned mentors at the end of the workshop. They shall work on two flash fiction stories to be published in newspapers and online and a short story for submission to the Writivism African Short Story Prize under the guidance of the mentors. They shall also be required to review assigned work by the mentors and also apply to various writing opportunities on recommendation by the mentor.
The workshops aim at identifying emerging African writers.
- Applicants must be resident on the African continent;
- Applicants must not have published a book before;
- All applications must be made online here;
- Deadline for submission is 31st October 2014 midnight, East African time;
- The list of successful applicants shall be announced on the 21st, November 2014 at the Ake Books and Arts Festival;
- The workshop is non-residential and participants are responsible for the transport to and from the venue and in some cases meals during the workshop; and
- Participants in past Writivism workshops can apply if they have since not published a book.
For more information, keep checking this blog and the official Writivism website.
9 thoughts on “2015 Writivism Creative Writing Workshops: Call for Applications”
What are the dates for the workshops in each city?
Reblogged this on Kenneth Jura and commented:
Young writers moment.
Hello,i wanted to apply but i have a self published poetry book.Does that still apply as having published work?