The Writivism Literary Initiative is pleased to announce 19 longlisted writers for the 2019 Writivism Inaugural Youth Prize for Rukiga Writing. The long list for the secondary school level is comprised of 9 entries and the primary school level 10 entries. They were selected by a panel of three judges, chaired by Prof. Manuel Muranga and comprising Ms. Perpetua Mwesigire and Ms. Praise Nabimanya Kayongwe.
The prize in its inaugural year attracted entries from eight schools in the South Western (Kigezi) Uganda region, namely: Bishop Robert Gay Nyanja SSS, God’s Grace Primary School, Immaculate Heart SS Nyakibale, Kabale Secondary School, Kigata High School, Nyakigugwe Primary School, Nyanja Primary School, and Rwanyana Primary School.
The 19 stories will be whittled down to a shortlist of 9 stories, which will be announced at the start of the third school term for 2019. The 9 shortlisted writers will be invited and supported to travel to Kampala in December 2019 for the prize winners’ announcement. Ahead of the announcement, they will participate in various activities including a tour of the city. The winners of the prize will receive cash worth one school term’s fees. At a future date, the writers will work with a team of translators and editors to prepare their stories for publishing in an anthology, which will be bilingual: both in the original Rukiga and in English translation.
The 19 longlisted stories were written by:
Primary School Level
- Akanyijuka Johness of Nyanja Primary School for “Ndemirwe”
- Ashabayezu Jovitah of God’s Grace Primary School for “Okugumisiriza kwa
- Atuhweirwe Lydia of God’s Grace Primary School for “Okubonabona tikwo kufa”
- Atusinguza Shellinah of God’s Grace Primary School for “Muka sho taba nyoko”
- Irizerwa Pamela of Nyanja Primary School for “Akahara komu mbuzi”
- Kansiime Loyce of Nyakigugwe Primary School for “Omushaija womunyamururu”
- Mugisha Praise of Nyakigugwe Primary School for “Okubonabona kwangye”
- Ninsiima Maria Anlet of God’s Grace Primary School for “Kuri zikubanza zitakuhereerukane”
- Niwamanya Promise of Nyanja Primary School for “Amaarwa rwita-maka”
- 10.Turyasingura Shalot of Rwanyana Primary School for “Omugane Kahima”
Secondary School Level
- Derrick of Bishop Robert Gay Nyanja SSS for “Okutambura nyekiro nikubi”
- Nkunda Aturimu Carlos of Bishop Robert Gay Nyanja SSS for “Okuferwa Maama”
- Bamurangye Collin of Kigata High School for “Radiyo ya Taata”
- Kansiime Unity of Bishop Robert Gay Nyanja SSS for “Amaka kuguma”
- Karuhanga Ernest of Bishop Robert Gay Nyanja SSS for “Etakaboine erigasa empango”
- Kwesiga Jovin of Bishop Robert Gay Nyanja SSS for “Omukazi kubinga abaana omuka”
- Mubangizi Christopher of Bishop Robert Gay Nyanja SSS for “Okubonabona okutaine muheru”
- Naturinda Deo of Bishop Robert Gay Nyanja SSS for “Okubonabona tikwo kufa”
- Niwahereza Hillary of Bishop Robert Gay Nyanja SSS for “Akagwe” Congratulations from us, at the Centre for African Cultural Excellence.